≡ Menu

12 Days of Christmas

By Clerissa Lewis

1. ‘Twas the first of December and all through your house,
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
    Then suddenly one little soul did appear,
    It ?s your Christmas friends bringing holiday cheer.

Tonight calls for a partridge for your pear tree.
    Partridges are tough catches, you see.
    The bird flew the coop, leaving nothing behind
    But some sweet Bartlett pears, the very best kind.

Now beware of this warning your friends will be here,
    But you better not look, or we ?ll disappear.
    Then all your gifts that were carefully planned,
    On some other porch will surprisingly land.

Gift: can of Bartlett pears

2. Turtles and doves are coming your way;
    Eat all the chocolate that you may.
    Because in your family you have a few,
    We ?ve left on your doorstep more than just a two.

This glad Christmas season is so full of fun.
    We ?re happy to share with your family, then run.
    How grateful we are that you ?re playing our game.
    You ?ll now find that Christmas won ?t be the same.

Gift: bag of dove chocolates and bag of turtle chocolates

3. Night three arrives, but we ?re not in France,
    And three French hens don ?t come by chance.
    It cost us a bundle to have it shipped,
    the French hens insist that their soup be sipped.

Gift: family size can of chicken noodle soup

4. Four calling birds speak highly of you,
    You ?re kind and you ?re thoughtful, generous, too.
    They gave us a message over the phone
    Saying, Friends like you make us feel right at home. ?

Gift: toy cell phone

5. On the fifth of December, with things rather tight,
    It ?s important to us that we all travel light.
    Gold rings are too heavy (and not very yummy),
    So please be content with sweet rings in your tummy.

Gift: bag of donut gems/rings

6. Six geese-a-laying an interesting sight,
    Till one of them squawked and they all took to flight.
    What they left in their nest, you ?ll just have to look,
    A basket of eggs that you ?ll sure want to cook.

Gift: carton/dozen eggs

7. ?Tis the 7th of December and we ?re halfway done.
    Remember no peeking or you ?ll spoil the fun.
    Finding swans in December sure gave us some trouble.
    But for clean and white feathers use a blend of bath bubbles.

Gift: bubble bath

8. On the eighth of December, we ?re busy as bees.
    Eight maids-a-milking, no where do we see.
    But there in the barn we spy something now,
    It ?s the rich, creamy milk from a pretty brown cow.

Gift: gallon of chocolate milk

9. Nine ladies dancing would be a big crowd.
    Besides their music is way too loud!
    We have for you some Christmas songs,
    To listen to all season long.

Gift: CD of Christmas music

10. Ten lords-a-leaping would be an awesome gift,
    But they got stuck while jumping ore a big snowdrift.
    You ?ll have to be content, you see, to watch the popcorn fly,
    And if you ?ve got a sweet tooth, here ?s a recipe to try.

Gift: bag of mini marshmallows, box of light or no butter microwave popcorn, recip

Microwave Caramel Popcorn
    1 C mini marshmallows
    ½ C lightly packed brownsugar
    ½ cube butter
    1 package microwave popcorn

Combine marshmallows, brown sugar, and butter. Microwave on high for one minute then mix until smooth. Spoon over popped popcorn. Enjoy!

11. Eleven pipers piping reminds us of our plumber,
    To leave him on the doorstep would be a real bummer.
    Now make your water piping hot, and fill your cups with care.
    We ?re giving you some hot coca we know you ?ll want to share.

We simply can ?t believe that this game is almost through.
    We ?ve had a jolly time bringing all these gifts to you.
    With only one more night left, don ?t you wish you knew
    Just exactly who we are and why we ?re doing this for you?

Gift: box of hot chocolate

12. The final evening had arrived, and on our ending night
    One dozen drummers at your door would be a splendid sight.
    But drummers are too noisy with their drums they ?re always beating,
    Instead we ?ll let you softly drum your ice cream as you ?re eating.

In the end we wish you a Merry Christmas.
    We ?re guessing you ?d like an announcement from us,
    But our names stay a secret; we just cannot share.
    It ?s the kindness of strangers that really is rare.

Gift: box of drumstick ice cream cone

13. s

{ 54 comments… add one }

• Alison Moore Smith December 16, 2007, 10:08 pm

The thing I love about this, is that it’s not overwhelming. It’s actually really simple. Most “projects” like this make me say, “Wow, that’s neat, I just don’t have time this year.” This is fun and manageable.

Thanks so much!

• Lewis_Family December 17, 2007, 11:12 am

NO worries, it was way cute and thought out, and like you said simple little things that still made us feel special. The night we got the toy cell phone, Jasmin was so excited and after playing with it for a little bit, she would point or run over to the door and ask ” knock knock?” It was way cute. We were hoping to know who did it, but as you can see they didn’t reveal it, but we left them a gift bag of goodies the last night, so we were still able to say thanks though we never found out who they were.

• davidson December 17, 2007, 3:09 pm

Very good idea, Lewis. The “goodwill toward men” thing. Giving AND receiving. I love this time of year. I even love the traffic jams. I look at the people in the cars beside me and think, “I’m in a jam right now because all these people are willing to face the traffic and the crowded stores to buy gifts for people they care about.” I love that. I’ve always been a people-watcher, but I especially love to watch people this time of year.

• Michelle D December 20, 2007, 6:26 am

What a neat twist to a familiar song! Thanks for sharing. I agree that these gift ideas are simple and easy to implement, without being overwhelming. Lewis, your daughter’s reaction is priceless.

Davidson, Wow! You have changed the way I view the crowds/traffic that I HATE so much at this time of year. Thanks for your thoughts — people willing to face the crowds in order to buy gifts for those for whom they care. What a different perspective. It will make a difference in how I think about shopping crowds from now on!

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 11:55 am

Bumping this to get people thinking for december, it can be done the first 12 days or done so ending on christmas… also I am trying to think of a cute poem *cough* davidson *cough* to do a thanksgiving “boo” that you take to neighbors and they have to turn around and share with others…. anyone know of any? I was thinking of a Tom the turkey or something…

• delmar November 5, 2008, 1:53 pm

FWIW: The 12 days of Christmas start on Christmas and end on “epiphany”…ya know, the day the wise men supposedly came barely gifts. I know the church doesn’t get all celebratory with all the so called “normal” Christian hoildays but Advent is before, not the 12 days of Christmas. Darn liturgical seasons.

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 3:16 pm

Guess we can change the title to 12 days in december to be p.c.

• davidson November 5, 2008, 4:04 pm

Cough, cough. (Must be catching!) (But I was glad to catch it!)

Here’s a little poem for you, Lewis. Feel free to tweak it, if necessary, or ask me to try again.

Thomas the Turkey is making the rounds,
    loaded with goodies, but minus all sounds,
    leaving a treat at the home of his friends
    for whom he is thankful, on whom he depends.
    He left in a rush, but he lost this one feather.
    Perhaps we can join him and spread thanks together.
    Tape his “remains” to the front of your door,
    so others will know Tom has been there before.
    Fix a nice treat, put a feather on top;
    think of a house where you’d most like to stop;
    copy this poem and attach to the treat;
    plan out a way to be quick and discreet,
    then gather your goodies, the whole splendid plateful
    and privately thank those for whom you are grateful.

Surely you know it! Surely you do!
    that one of your neighbors is thankful for you!

(The feather can be a real or paper one.)

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 4:42 pm

That.is.amazing.! Thank you so much, we are going to make cookies and do it tonight or tomorrow. I will make the feather on white paper so the kid/s of the home can color it and put it on their doors :smile: You don’t want to share this poem with all?

• delmar November 5, 2008, 5:39 pm

its a really cool idea though. didn’t want to seem snippy.

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 7:24 pm

So we made brownie mix cookies and did 4 families tonight! My husband free handed a big feather that I then traced to get 4 and we went and “tom-ed” 4 families :smile: Jasmin is still talking about how we had to be quiet and hide :bigsmile: WE even did a non member family, so that counts for double points right? :wink:
    Thanks so much, it really was an amazing poem that you totally did in amazing time. Thank you again!

• davidson November 5, 2008, 7:26 pm

Ah, I just figured they’d heard enough from me for a while. :smile: Do what you think is best.

• davidson November 5, 2008, 7:28 pm

Your evening sounds so fun! What a good heart you have! Double points? Heck no, if you did four families, you get quadruple points!

Thanks for the kind words.

• davidson November 5, 2008, 7:44 pm

Lewis! Would you mind sending me a copy of the feather in an email? My email address is davmas@msn.com. (If you don’t have a scanner, no worries.) Thanks.

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 8:29 pm

Ha, it was fun. Yes, it was just a free hand like doodly feather, nothing special, just so that kids could color it in, but yes, we don’t have a scanner, I just googled feather clip art and found one we liked and had my hubby free hand it. I think if you don’t mind I will share it and challenge others to spread the spirit, if that is ok with you? Unless you want to share it, either way you will get credit for it :smile:

• davidson November 5, 2008, 11:07 pm

If you’d like to share it, that would be fine with me. I don’t need credit for it. In fact, if you’d like to just say you found it (which you did; it just happened to be here at this website! :bigsmile:) I’d be happy with that. Really, there are too many people here who already think I’m arrogant and obnoxious and difficult ; I don’t want to do anything to further that right now. :smile:

Googling the feather clipart was a good idea! Maybe I could freehand it if I had something to look at. (My drawing skills are of the stick-figure type.) :sad:

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 11:31 pm

I stamp, I don’t draw, that is hubby’s forte :smile: ok I will list it, but won’t credit you :smile:

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 11:34 pm

Here we go! We totally did this tonight, we just drew a feather on a half sheet of computer paper and printed off this poem on another half and made brownie mix cookies and went and tom-ed people tonight.
    Anyone else feeling the neighborly love and going to give it a whirl?

Thomas the Turkey is making the rounds,
    loaded with goodies, but minus all sounds,
    leaving a treat at the home of his friends
    for whom he is thankful, on whom he depends.
    He left in a rush, but he lost this one feather.
    Perhaps we can join him and spread thanks together.
    Tape his “remains” to the front of your door,
    so others will know Tom has been there before.
    Fix a nice treat, put a feather on top;
    think of a house where you’d most like to stop;
    copy this poem and attach to the treat;
    plan out a way to be quick and discreet,
    then gather your goodies, the whole splendid plateful
    and privately thank those for whom you are grateful.

Surely you know it! Surely you do!
    that one of your neighbors is thankful for you!

Isn’t that the cutest poem you have ever heard? So incredible, and will totally make people’s nights ( the treats help, too :wink: )

• Lewis_Family November 5, 2008, 11:37 pm

PS I make cards, I love to do it ( and sell scrapbook and card making supplies now, so as to buy from myself :smile: )
    but yes, if you want to be on my Christmas Card list, please whisper me your address. I know it might seem weird to do, davidson asked last year and I didn’t give her mine because she was making gifts and I didn’t want to seem greedy, but for real, don’t feel that way like I did, because then you miss out on some Mormon Momma Christmas love.

• davidson November 5, 2008, 11:42 pm

Wow! A homemade card! I would love that. Yes, Please!

Serena Davidson
    3237 Olsen St.
    Iona, ID 83427

Now, can I have your address this year?

• partone November 5, 2008, 11:59 pm

I didn’ tsee this last year. This is so cool. Thanks i think we’re gong to do it.

• delmar November 6, 2008, 12:24 am

Ok this is the cutest poem and idea ever! Oh, I need your brownie mix cookie recipe!!! Yummo!

• agardner November 6, 2008, 6:07 am

Yes, this is darling! I’ll whisper you my address, I’d love to see one of your cards!

• agardner November 6, 2008, 6:08 am

Angie Gardner
    1023 Sterling Oaks Blvd
    Slidell, LA 70461

Send me yours and I’ll send you one too – although mine will be store-bought (I bought them last year on clearance!)

• Lewis_Family November 6, 2008, 8:07 am

Ha, I used to do that, then I learned how to make cards and haven’t bought any since :smile:

Clerissa Lewis
    1988 W. 600 S.
    Provo, UT 84601

• Lewis_Family November 6, 2008, 8:08 am

This is the recipe
    1 pkg. (21.5 oz.) Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
    1/4 c. flour
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    3 tbsp. water
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. chopped nuts
    1 c. chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips or M&M’S®

Combine all ingredients, mixing by hand. Bake until just set at 350 degrees about 9-10 minutes.

I added more flour since the package isn’t as big as it called for, also to make it more cookie dough like and we added white chocolate chips, or you can dip them in powdered sugar. They are SOOOO yummy :smile:

• delmar November 6, 2008, 10:18 am

Do you roll them into balls, squish them down??? They sound awesome!

• Lewis_Family November 6, 2008, 10:32 am

They are drop, so I use two spoons and just put them on the sheet, oh and it is good to use foil or use a spray so they don’t stick. They spread a little and you need to let them cool a bit before moving or else they fall apart.

• delmar November 6, 2008, 3:22 pm

i’m such a perfectionist. sorry to bug. how many cookies do you get from one batch???

• Lewis_Family November 6, 2008, 3:50 pm

no worries, I got 24 in the first and then like 30 in the second, so I guess depends on spoon size?

• 2JsMom November 9, 2008, 11:19 am

This is really cool. I think we might do one or both of these this year. :)

• Lewis_Family November 19, 2008, 11:19 am

I can’t believe I never whispered back, I am so sorry, I thought it let you whisper to two people, so it went to angie but not you, please forgive me.
    Ours is 1988 W. 600 S. Provo, UT 84601

• Lewis_Family November 19, 2008, 11:20 am

I only got like 2 addys… come on people, ante up.

• davidson November 19, 2008, 11:46 am

Thanks, Lewis! I’ll write it in my address book right now. :bigsmile:

• Lewis_Family November 19, 2008, 12:05 pm

I am seriously so sorry, for real, I was bumping this and say that there wasn’t a whisper back to you, and felt so bad.

• davidson November 19, 2008, 1:13 pm

No worries!

• kiar November 19, 2008, 2:26 pm

I am not sure of my new adress yet… you can have it when I figure out what it is!

• delmar November 20, 2008, 9:01 pm

we tom’d people tonight. 7 families & 9 dozen cookies later we are home. my daughters soccer coach who is a member was fun! we knew she couldn’t out-run him, so i pointed out an awesome hiding spot & it worked. we had so much fun.

• Tinkerbell November 29, 2008, 10:47 pm

I love this Christmas idea. I have a family in mind I think I would like to try it on.

• Lewis_Family November 29, 2008, 11:32 pm

Address call again, if you read this forum, whisper me your address and I will send you a homemade christmas card :smile:

• Tinkerbell November 30, 2008, 10:30 pm

Mine is Stephanie Probst, 1009 Ann Drive, Wylie, TX 75098. Can’t wait to receive it! Thanks!

• Lewis_Family November 30, 2008, 10:36 pm

Thanks for the addy, I have them made I just need to decide on a fam pic to send in them, so hopefully will have them off by the end of the week:smile:

• Alison Moore Smith December 1, 2008, 11:26 am

kiar, I’m so sorry you are lost! Shall we send out a search party to locate you? :bigsmile:

• Alison Moore Smith December 1, 2008, 11:26 am

I would totally love one. Yes, I am greedy!!!

Alison Moore Smith
    767 E 750 N
    American Fork UT 84003

• Alison Moore Smith December 1, 2008, 11:27 am

Lewis, that is so nice. Yes, I want one! I couldn’t make a cute card if my life depended on it, but I love what creative and talented people can do!

• delmar December 1, 2008, 12:17 pm

Sarah Patino & Family
    906 Jacobs Street
    Marysville, CA. 95901

• Lewis_Family December 1, 2008, 12:57 pm

Thank you, thank you… hopefully I get them out this weekend :smile:

• Lewis_Family December 1, 2008, 12:57 pm

Thank you, thank you… hopefully I get them out this weekend :smile:

• jennycherie December 1, 2008, 4:13 pm

Okay – I can’t resist! I would love to see one of your homemade cards!

Jennifer Ort
    6504 E 110th St.
    Kansas City, MO 64134

• jennycherie December 1, 2008, 4:13 pm

PS,

I’m going to try your brownie cookies finally!

• Lewis_Family December 1, 2008, 4:37 pm

Right on, for real, I have only gotten 6 addy, thought I had made more friend than that on here :smile: I will send them out this weekend, once the pics arrive to put in them and I got those off snapfish for free :bigsmile:, so hopefully you get it next week.

The cookies rock, enjoy!

• kiar December 1, 2008, 5:13 pm

:fingersear: yes.

• davidson December 10, 2008, 11:08 pm

Clerissa, love, I received your card today. It was beautiful, and you are beautiful! That long, dark hair. . .I am thrilled to have a picture of you.
    The card is a keeper. Thank you very much!

• Lewis_Family December 10, 2008, 11:41 pm

Thanks:shamed: glad you liked the card, it got there fast :smile: